- Use the prefix 'tbl' for a table.
- Namingconvention according to Camel Casing.
- The names of the tables should be plural. Examples: Customers, Patients, ErrorMessages, etc.
- If you build a OLTP system model your tables according to the 3NF. In some exceptions a denormalisation is possible because performance benefits.
- Think about using schemas when you are using extensive prefixing for your tables.
- Align your partition of your indexes with the partitioning of the tables. It is advisible to keep them in line.
- Partition the tables when there are multiple millions of rows in it and there are multiple disks available.
- When you're using lookup tables use a prefix or a suffix. example tblluTablename or tblTabelnameLU.
- The naming convention for assiociative tables (n:m relations) should be a concatenation of the derived tables. For instance for the tables tblProduct and tblSupplier the tablename is tblProducts_Suppliers.