Before the install of SQL Server 2008 R2
1. Install .NET Framework 3.5 or higher and Windows installer 4.5 or higher and run a reboot!
2. Install the latest windows servicepack.
3. Create for every service an Active Directory account. This has a couple of advantages:
- Don't give more permissions needed to a service.
- Locking down specifc access service account on specfic servers.
- isolating a specific problem with an account.
- When some thing is wrong with an account not all services has problems.
5. Make sure you have a couple of drives for
•Move Model DB
•Move MSDB DB
•Resize TempDB (32 GB data, 16 GB logs), disable autogrowth
•Set default file locations
•Set CPU to boost SQL priority
•Set minimum memory to 6GB
•Set maximum memory to 7GB.
•Configure Database Mail