- Gather information about the databases, DTS packages and jobs.
- Gather information about the content of a DTS packages with DTSDOC.
- Script the jobs of the servers.
- Gather information about the database objects (tables, views, stored procedures, etc) with DBDESC.
- We created a DTS/database matrix. This way we could investigate the impact of moving a database to a another server.
- We also created a Job/database matrix. A lot T-SQL code was embedded in jobs.
When analyzing how to movedatabases and DTS packages to another server we discovered that there were 4 ways of doing this: