maandag 14 december 2015

Windows 10 : We couldn't update the system reserved partition

Introduction

Today, I thought it was a good idea for upgrading my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I neglected the upgrade pop up window for too long now. Let's do it! Well, that's not as easy as I expected upfront because of this error message: "We couldn't update the system reserved partition". I'm not sure but on some sites I've read that it could be the result of migration from HDD to SSD with the Samsung migration software.

In this blogpost I'll describe the problem, the solution and the conclusion.

The error message

In my particular case I recieved the following error: "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." and this is depicted below:


I opened Disk Management and I saw the following information:


In this screenshot the data volume is a System Primary Partition and I assumed that this one is the one with the problem. It's only 1% free and it's a system partition.

The solution

1. I installed the Minitool Partition Wizard 9.1 Free edition.



2. And launched the application:


And here you can see the Active & Boot partition. In my case it is named "Data" but I've also seen sites where the partition is named RECOVERY.

3. Resize the C partition in order to make some space free (I found out later that this not really needed. You can grab some free space from C:).


4. The result of this step.


5. Now, extend the system reserved partition to the desired amount.


And now the final result should be this (depicted below):


The system reserved partition is now enlarged to 300 MB.

6. The next step is to apply the settings


After some nail biting restarting, flickering and a progress bar that stops sometimes, the volume is enlarged to 300 MB.


And the installation of windows 10 succeeded without any problem.

Conclusion

I think that the migration from HDD to SSD of the Samsung software changed something in the reserved partition.

Greetz,

Hennie

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten